Akraino is a set of open infrastructures and application blueprints for the Edge, spanning a broad variety of use cases, including 5G, AI, Edge IaaS/PaaS, IoT, for both provider and enterprise edge domains. These Blueprints have been created by the Akraino community and focus exclusively on the edge in all of its different forms. What unites all of these blueprints is that they have been tested by the community and are ready for adoption as-is, or used as a starting point for customizing a new edge blueprint.
Akraino follows a holistic design focused on availability, capacity, security, and continuity.
- Finite set of configurations – In order to reduce complexity, the design will follow a finite set of configurations.
- May support Multiple workloads types such as VMs, Containers, micro services, etc.,
- Security – The design needs to validate the security of the blueprint.
- Autonomous, turn-key solution for service enablement
- Platform, VNF and application assessment and gating – assess whether the application is fit to run at the edge (e.g. latency sensitiveness, code quality).
The Akraino blueprints are built to scale in a cost-effective way.
- Low latency placement and processing to support edge drivers.
- Plug & play modular architecture –building blocks using multiple cloud management technologies.
By focusing on the uniqueness that is the edge, Akraino focuses on building infrastructure and applications that have:
- Zero-touch provisioning, operations, and lifecycle – which in turn reduces OpEx
- Automated maturity measurement – operations, designs, and services.
The Akraino community has worked together to provide shared resources to the developers and open source participants to ease development across the different hardware platforms and architectures.
- Organization and oversight of the Community Lab
- Community sponsored hardware well aligned to the Akraino blueprints and design philosophies