October 7 - October 8
The EdgeX Foundry community is planning a series of hackathons focused on addressing real-world use cases with solutions built from commercial content from sponsors unified by the EdgeX framework.
The inaugural EdgeX Open will be hosted at Tech Nexus in Chicago on October 7 and 8. The event will focus on the retail market and work stemmed from the Commerce (e.g. Retail) Working Group within the EdgeX Foundry project and the related Open Retail Initiative (ORI).
Participating developers (from students to retail end users and technology solution providers) will use their talents and creativity combined with the EdgeX framework, commercial content from sponsoring companies and the rules of the event to develop a solution for either one of the specified customer-valued retail use-cases or an additional open category.
EdgeX Open Categories:
- Advanced loss prevention – Leverage EdgeX to correlate computer vision events with telemetry from sensors such as RFID and transaction logs data from Point-of-Sale systems for improved loss prevention/theft detection
- Dynamic personalized retail experience – Take computer vision and sensor data to drive a better in-store customer experience based on individual shopper preference
- Inventory management – Use data from sensors and scanners (hand-held and/or drone- based) to improve inventory accuracy
- Open category – Get creative and take your pick of a retail-centric use case! Just make sure it would be deemed valuable by end users
Monday, October 7, 2019
8:30 – 10:00 Registration, Breakfast and Team Set-up
10:00 – 10:30 Opening Announcements, Introductions & Challenges Presented
10:30 – 11:00 Sponsor presentations
11:00 Hacking begins
Noon Working lunch
2:00 Networking/Technical discussions/Open group conversations
6PM Whiskey Tasting (For participants 21 years old and over)
7PM Dinner / Cocktail / Jam Session
10:00 Doors close for the night
Tuesday, October 8, 2019
7:30 AM Doors open
8:00 Breakfast and start time
9:00 Order of participant presentations to the Judges will be announced
Noon Working lunch
Noon – 2:00 Judges to meet with each team for a short solutions overview and quick Q&A*
2:00 – 4:00 Presentations to judges (Each team presents + Q&A)*
4:00 Judges tally results
5:00 Award Ceremony – Winners announced
5:30 Closing ceremony and final thoughts
* Each team to get equal amount of time with judges and for presentation (specific time will depend on number of teams)
To learn more about how to get started with EdgeX Foundry, check out this training doc: https://www.edgexfoundry.org/blog/2019/09/09/edgex-open-training/
If you have questions, connect with us on the EdgeX Foundry Vertical-Solutions Slack Channel: https://slack.edgexfoundry.org/
First Place: Team will receive USD$5,000*. The first place team will be invited to a future industry event to present their winning solution.
Second Place: Team will receive USD$2,500*
Third Place: Team will receive USD$1,250*
* Prizes awarded in the form of a check, to be distributed amongst all Team members
Thank you to our presenting sponsors!
Thank you to our bronze sponsors!
Learn more about the EdgeX Foundry:
- EdgeX Edinburgh release page: https://www.edgexfoundry.org/release-1-0-edinburgh/
- EdgeX documentation: https://docs.edgexfoundry.org/Ch-QuickStart.html
- Edge Technical blog: https://www.edgexfoundry.org/blog/2019/07/11/edgex-foundry-ready-for-prime-time/
- EdgeX Contributors: https://www.lfedge.org/2019/08/21/edgex-foundry-contributors-and-users-share-thoughts-on-the-edinburgh-release-the-growing-ecosystem-and-more/