IEC (Integrated Edge Cloud) is a platform that enables new functionalities and business models on the network edge. It provides critical infrastructure to enable high performance, reduce latency, improve availability, lower operational overhead, provide scalability, address security needs, and improve fault management. In this release it is based on Kubernetes and Calico; installation is automated with installers and integrated with the SEBA use-case.
Insufficient memory and storage space for embedded devices is a resource-constrained environment and existing Kubernetes distributions are often memory intensive and overly complex for edge computing environments. The hardware condition is very harsh for embedded devices. For Type 1 devices, usually they are single boarded SoC systems small in size, limited memory and CPU with rather low processing capability.
Key features in R2:
- Platform works on aarch64 architectures
- Deployment is automated in CI
- The SEBA use-case is integrated with the IEC platform
- Specific version Kubernetes installation
- PONSim installation support
- Device and software information of IEC Type 1 typical platform (Mcbin Double Shot) provided
- Currently IEC Type 1 uses project Calico as the main container networking solution which provides high performance, rich network policy, widely supported from Linux systems and easy installation
- Other functional enhancements: SEBA-charts submodule update, multi-arch etcd yaml files, and more.
More Information: https://wiki.akraino.org/display/AK/IEC+Release+2+Documentation